Sexual Assualt and abuse
The statistics show that between 15%-25% of women and between 5%-15% of men have been sexually abused when they were children.
Most sexual abuse offenders are acquainted with their victims; approximately 30% are relatives, and around 60% are known acquaintances, such as friends of the family. Strangers make up 10% of child sexual abusers.
When you were abused, you did not have a choice about what happened to you. Now, however, you can choose to reclaim your life and heal.
As survivors of childhood sexual abuse or rape, it is normal to suffer emotional and interpersonal after-effects for several months to years. Abuse often affects our:
- self esteem
- sense of being loved
- fears and other emotions, such as guilt and shame
- self perception
- sexual orientation
- sex, sexual interest, sexual arousal
Suffering can include flashbacks, nightmares, impotence, overactive sex drive, depression, anxiety, and much more. Many survivors experience some of the following problems:.
- eating problems, including starving, bingeing, vomiting food, or overeating
- sexual difficulties, including avoidance of sex, promiscuity, or experiencing fear and flashbacks
- being a workaholic, over exercising, or other compulsive behaviours
- engaging in self-harm, including cutting and burning ones arms, legs, genitals or other parts of the body
- repeatedly thinking about wanting to die.
In fact, research shows that depression is the most frequently reported symptom following childhood sexual abuse.
What are the treatments for sexual assault and abuse offered at the R.E.A.D. Clinic?
At the R.E.A.D. Clinic, we have highly qualified and supportive psychologists who can guide you through the process, and help you work through the issues to improve the quality of your life.
How do i make an appointment?
You can make an appointment with any of our specialised psychologists, who will be happy to assist you. To make an appointment, simply email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us on (02) 4324 6633. CLICK HERE to view our specialists in this area.
Alternatively, talk to our highly trained administration team about who would best serve your needs. To talk to our administration team, just call us on (02) 4324 6633.